At a Glance: Nancy Drew Throughout the Years


Introduction


Nancy Drew is a titian-haired (or strawberry-blonde) “amateur” detective who lives in River Heights.  Her father, Carson Drew, is a lawyer and her mother died when Nancy was three.  Hannah Gruen is their housekeeper and acts as a mother figure for Nancy.  Nancy hangs out with Bess Marvin and Bess’s cousin, George Fayne.  Bess is a blonde girly-girl type who enjoys shopping and is reluctant to solve mysteries while George is a brunette tomboy who enjoys playing sports and will jump at a chance to solve a mystery.  Nancy also has a boyfriend named Ned Nickerson who is a jock and goes to Emerson College and helps Nancy with her mysteries while worrying about her.

This is the basic, original Nancy Drew information.  I am a loyal fan of Nancy Drew, so I get upset when people start messing about with the basics.  I will present some other versions of Nancy that have popped up over time.



The Original Nancy Drew Movies (1930s)

I never read any of the 1930s Nancy Drew books, so my judgement may not be entirely fair. I know the Nancy Drew stories and characters have gone through many revisions, so she is always developing and being adapted to current times. Personally, I have yet to find one portrayal of her in movies and television where she is the definitive Nancy Drew for me. 

 All I can say is that I was very disappointed with these 1930s movies, especially since there were made in the same era as the original books.  Bonita Granville portrays Nancy younger than the original yellow books and because of that, I found her judgement impaired, which changed Nancy’s character.  She was also too excitable and got upset too easily, for instance, in Nancy Drew, Detective, she is so excited to be going to police headquarters with her father that she’s pulling him across the sidewalk and into the building.  I also think that because of Nancy’s young age, they made Carson Drew constantly tell Nancy to stop investigating and to go to the police; in the yellow books, Mr. Drew helps Nancy with her cases and/or warns her to be careful.  To match Nancy’s young age, they also had Ned—sorry, "Ted"— act younger as well, and the writers decided to make them argue.  A lot.  This is not what Nancy and Ned’s relationship is about.


As I mentioned, I am a stickler for details with Nancy Drew and frankly find that changing her boyfriend’s name from “Ned” to “Ted” is an unnecessary alteration.  Consequently, I didn’t enjoy the movies as much as I had hoped when I discovered these movies existed.



Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Mysteries (1970s)


I started to enjoy these episodes despite all the changes made to Nancy's story, such as:
  • George having Bess’s characteristics, especially her reluctance and fear of being in a case with Nancy
  • Ned being more of a nerd with glasses since Nancy is the more confident one in the relationship
  • Several actresses playing Bess and Bess's character being two-dimensional



I was about halfway through the second season and had just started to watch a Christmas episode when suddenly Rick Springfield makes a guest appearance.  I thought it was cool to have a celebrity on the show, thinking he'd play a victim or suspect.  I proceeded to watch the episode when Nancy calls him “Ned.”  I had reached the end of my rope and I stopped watching the rest of the Nancy Drew episodes for the rest of the season (except for those where she was teamed up with the Hardy Boys because they were perfectly portrayed).  I was glad that I did because in one of the team-ups with the Hardy Boys, Nancy is played by a different actress.  Cue the eye roll. 

I don’t understand why writers gave the first Ned a more reserved and somewhat meek personality that emphasizes Nancy's headstrong and sometimes, aggressive personality.  It’s as if the writers felt the yellow book version of Nancy and Ned were not what audiences wanted, so they decided to make them opposites.  If you want a good example, watch "A Haunting We Will Go."


I found Pamela Sue Martin’s portrayal of Nancy is closer to the yellow book version, but she is shown to have more faults on TV.  One could say that Martin's portrayal is a more human one.  Although Martin’s Nancy is truer to the yellow book Nancy, everything around her on the show was not up to par and then, she was also changed. 

One more thing: I have always wondered where they got the idea to have Frank and Nancy interested in each other, (although more on Frank’s side).  This has influenced the Nancy Drew computer games and modern book versions of Nancy.

 




Nancy Drew TV Show (1990s)


I will admit that I have only seen clips of this show on Youtube, one of which was where Nancy breaks up with Ned.  I watched the clip without judgement and made allowances for story changes (like Nancy having dark hair), but at the end, I just didn’t like it.  The music made it seem too much like a soap opera.  It was as if the writers behind the show needed a conflict for Nancy and Ned’s relationship to keep the audience's attention because they know any fan of Nancy Drew knows that Nancy and Ned can't break up.  But the writers used a flimsy excuse.  The scene depicts Nancy telling Ned that she doesn’t want to go to Africa with him and can’t wait for him for six months, so she breaks up with him.  


 
 In thinking of the yellow book Nancy, I think she would have either:

1.  Told Ned to go and enjoy himself on such an exotic adventure (especially since she’s either traveling herself and/or solving mysteries)
2.  Would have seen the intrigue in going to Africa and found a way to join Ned for the six months or part of the time

Fans of Nancy Drew, what is your opinion regarding this scene?  

 

 

Nancy Drew Computer Games (1990s-2000s)


I have been playing Nancy Drew games since the early 2000s and I almost have a complete collection (of Lani Manella's Nancy).  The Nancy players encounter in these games is only a voice and a character through writing; we never see Nancy (update: the closest we came to seeing her is in #31 Labyrinth of Lies), so it isn't entirely Manella who is portraying Nancy.  Her voice, however, is perfect for my idea of Nancy.  Her voice isn't too high or too deep.  And in the more recent games, say #14 and higher, players have a choice of answers that color the events and outcome of the game.  

(Spoilers ahead) 

For instance, in # 14 Danger By Design, Nancy is asked not to tell Minette that Heather did something.  Players are given the option to tell on Heather.  If she tells, Heather does not allow Nancy to be a model in the fashion show and consequently, Nancy has burned a bridge.

I noticed Nancy sounded older at times in the 20s of the games and found out that Manella was directed to do so.  Again, why are they changing Nancy?  Nancy has always been a teenager, which has facilitated her undercover work, (despite being in her 80s now).  I don't see the appeal of making her older.

I am upset that the company Her Interactive decided to change Nancy’s voice actress from Lani Manella to someone sounding younger.  I’m hoping she will do as good a job of being Nancy and that Her Interactive completes the 33rd game, Midnight in Salem, soon.



Conclusion


I have never read a first edition Nancy Drew book and I know that there were many rewrites to update the yellow book Nancy over the years, so maybe Bonita Granville’s portrayal was more in line with the first yellow book Nancy. Nonetheless, she’s not 
my Nancy. 

I have read a few modern books with Nancy Drew paired with The Hardy Boys, as well as alone, and as much as the mysteries themselves were interesting, the characters did not live up to my standards.  Those versions of Nancy don’t speak to me; they are no different than other book characters.  That leads me to wonder if a more modern setting is the reason for my dislike, but then again, I enjoy Her Interactive’s computer games.  It must be the writing of her character, then.  Or I’m just too sentimental.

I was very happy to hear that the attempt to put Nancy on TV in a police investigation setting was stopped.  I am glad because I find that we have too many police investigation shows these days that all look the same.  I did not see Sarah Shahi as Nancy, so there is no way of knowing how she portrayed the detective.  Moreover, I don’t agree with cancelling the show because it’s “too female.”  Nancy Drew is still popular, so a ‘too female’ cast is not a good reason for cancellation.  We could easily say that The Hardy Boys or Magnum P. I. is "too male."  




Sources:

Ahsan, Sadaf. “CBS’s Nancy Drew television series remake, starring Sarah Shahi, cancelled for being ‘too female’ ”. National Post. POSTMEDIA. Updated May 17, 2016.

All photographs in this post are my own.

lise engen haugan, The Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries 1 08 A Haunting We Will Go DVD2DivX. Youtube. Published February 11, 2017.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He2NFql_2H4

NigthSky315. Frank and Nancy - At the Beginning. Youtube. Published June 2, 2008.

twtom. Nancy Drew Breaks Up With Ned Nickerson. Youtube. Published July 6, 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rc48Pbugr8

twtom. Nancy Drew Intro 1995 TV Show. Youtube. Published July 4, 2017.


Further Reading:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Scratching My Head After Reading The Clockmaker's Daughter

Take a Road Trip through Ireland with Love & Luck by Jenna Evans Welch

The Enchanting Tale of the House of Salt and Sorrows